Skip to main content

BBC says farewell to Great British Bake Off in a dramatic move to channel 4


The Great British Bake Off has left BBC and joined Channel 4. With millions of loyal viewers, many people seem to have concerns about the switch.

For anyone who has never watched Great British Bake off, let's give you the rundown. Great British Bake Off, or GBBO as it is fondly known to many, is a British baking competition which brings in amateur bakers and selects the best one through a process of elimination. If you have watched a show such as MasterChef it is the same basic premise.

GBBO, moved from BBC to Channel 4 for selective reasons. While these reasons are being guarded, it has been rumored that money was one of the leading reasons for the switch. While BBC offered a good amount of money, it simply was not enough and Channel 4 swooped in and purchased GBBO for 75 million.


 Image result for Great British Bake Off 2017 judges



When GBBO was on BBC there were no commercials. While many people are used to sitting through commercials while watching TV, faithful BBC viewers pay extra to not watch commercials. After the first new episode aired on Channel 4, Twitter was filled with tweets from GBBO watchers feeling anger and disappointment.  "The programme is OK but the adverts are too much. I don't think I'll be watching the rest of this series. " one Twitter user said "All these adverts on so annoying!" said another.

While GBBO may lose some fans to the numerous advertisements, another disappointing turn for many is the departure of three of the four judges. Only Paul Hollywood remains from the original judging crew and has now been joined by two  new judges, Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding. Coming in with a bang, the duo arrived in a hot air balloon as their introduction to the show, winning over the hearts of many skeptics.

The season premiere of GBBO on Channel 4 this year had about 6.5 million viewers, 4 million less than the previous season premier which aired on BBC. While this may seem discouraging, Channel 4 is very upbeat about these numbers and is seeing them continue to rise. Channel 4 took to Twitter " is @Channel4's biggest overnight audience in 5 yrs (since Paras Opening Ceremony) Biggest peak time share for 16-34s in over 10 yrs". Channel 4 is also trying to account for the number of people who are recording the show to watch later in order to skip through the commercials.

With GBBO bringing in the most young viewers Channel 4 has seen in years, the show seems to still be on a roll. With the future looking bright, let's hope things continue in a good direction for GBBO.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Past Cakes

Altered Cake Mix

I made a cake. Now, with who I am, this news shocks no one. I love making cakes, especially decorating them. This cake, however, was different. I just wanted cake. Chocolate cake, chocolate filling. I had to have it, been craving it for almost two weeks. I tried to fight it to no avail. Here I am, sitting at a table, trying not to devour an entire cake. Now this cake, I must confess, was made from an altered box cake mix. *GASP* I know, I know it's horrifying. But what's even worse is, I am not ashamed of it. Most of the time I will gladly and happily make a cake from scratch, I love to do it! However, with the whole family being sick lately and my son starting preschool I felt way too exhausted to spend the time and energy to make a cake from scratch. I always keep a few boxed cakes on hand in case of an emergency and, well, this chocolate craving definitely qualified as an emergency. So, without any more useless story or chatter, I give you the boxed cake fix u...

Reeses Cake

I was in the mood for a Reeses Cake this weekend so I made one, what better reason right? Dark Chocolate Fudge cake with peanut butter frosting, dark chocolate ganache and Reese's with Reese's Pieces. Nothing says love more 💕